Monday, September 8, 2014

The Feeling of Love

I was helping with lunch when one of the ladies said "you sure work hard making everyone feel loved!" I paused for a moment to think about what she said. I do reach out to touch each person, make eye contact and smile. I try to reassure the anxious ones that everything will be ok. I give hugs, back rubs and sing a song or two. I often sit with my residents and chat while we are waiting to be served. 

Am I working hard? Not at all. I am just doing what comes naturally to me. I let my residents know I care about them. I let them know that I enjoy our conversations and we chat even when their words no longer make sense to most people. I find I can still understand the emotions behind their words. I let them know that I need their hugs. I let them know that they are important. Would I want any less if I were in their shoes? 

I will cherish Miss B's words for a long time to come. I hope I can make her and all the others feel loved each day that I am with them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment