Friday, January 3, 2014

Chuck and the Car Lot

Picture
Chuck came to live with us after his family decided he could no longer live alone. His wife had passed away a few years ago. He had been lonely in his home, so he quickly made friends with other residents. He was tall and quite a gentleman. He soon noticed Kate. She was cute as a button with her hair in a bun and her dresses with all the pearl buttons. Kate reminded me of Aunt Bea from the Andy Griffith show. Chuck and Kate seemed to always be together...often holding hands as they walked. Chuck began talking about marrying Kate and getting a place of their own.

Our dining room overlooked our employee parking lot. Chuck often commented on the variety of cars in the lot. He thought I owned the car lot and must be selling a lot of cars. Nearly every day he would stop by to ask about buying one of the cars. He wanted to get a car so he and Kate could get married. Of course, they would need a car if they were going to move to their own place. I didn't have the heart to tell him that none of the cars were for sale, so I would tell him the sales manager was at lunch or had gone for the day. This answer always seemed to satisfy him, and he would go on about his day. He would stop at my desk the next day, and my answer would always be the same. He was able to walk away with his dream and his dignity intact. Chuck and Kate are both gone now, but I still smile every time I think about Chuck and the car lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment